You need a Lampe Berger.
What it does: purifies the air in your home and destroys odors. (Cooking smells, cigarette smoke, pet odor, etc.)
How: Via catalytic combustion. Whatever.
Why you need it:
- It works.
- The lamps are beautiful.
- It smells wonderful (or, it simply cleans the air without scent if you like; it's up to you)
- A Lampe Berger lamp. They can be pricey, but they come in an array of styles and prices and look beautiful simply sitting on your table. Below, some of my favorites from the Lampe Berger website.Glass, "Capri"Limoges Porcelain, "Louis XII"Metal, "Compression"
- Lampe Berger Oil. My favorite scent is New Orleans: "A deliciously gourmet fragrance with fruity and sweet accents, enhanced by a hint of cinnamon." I've also enjoyed Lilac Blossom and Royal Jasmine (one I do not recommend is Amber Powder). As I mention above, you can also use a Neutral oil which will cleanse the air of odors but not disperse a scent.
How you use a Lampe Berger:
- The first time you use it: Remove the cap and the burner/wick, fill the bottle about half full of oil. Replace the wick and let it soak, capped, for at least twenty minutes.
- Then, whether you've just done the step above or for regular use: Remove the cap and light the burner. Let flame for about two minutes, or when the burner starts to turn gray. Blow out the flame, and top the lamp with the decorative cover (do not cap!). It will take 25-40 minutes for the lamp to do its thing: rid the air of bacteria while emitting the scent. NOW, remove the decorative cover (careful, it's hot!), cap the burner and replace the decorative cover. Mission accomplished.