I hope all my online friends haven't left me. I have great ideas for entries when I'm walking to work (or biking and flashing traffic--haha), but obviously haven't put pen to paper lately.
But I've been busy! I'm teaching cute little first-year law students ("1-Ls") this semester. Last week I saw the tremendous baritone Nathan Gunn perform, accompanied on the piano by his talented wife, Julie. I also attended a local music festival which culminated in a lovely, if rather maudlin, performance by Iron & Wine. I had drinks with my oldest son's roommate and friends who were in town for the festival (older son stayed in Chicago--he has a new girlfriend ;-)), and dinner with younger son. I watched the Steelers lose to the Bears (Wah!).
Other goings-on: Last weekend my husband hosted a guys' absinthe, oyster and cigar party. My girlfriend and I went to a guitar festival and by the time we got back to the house, there were green fairies dancing around my garden and the boys had achieved a wormwood epiphany. (In reality, they were fiercely soapboxing on politics. Yawn.)
Best of all, the beautiful Daily Connoisseur awarded me the Honest Scrap Award! Thus, I shall list 10 honest scrap things about myself. Now, then:
1. I'm not a night person at all and prefer to be in bed by nine, ten at the latest. I don't like this about myself; I think I'd get a lot more done if I could stay up.
2. I'm an indie. I want to do what I want to do and I don't mind doing it alone if no one else wants to join in. Luckily, my husband is usually game except when it comes to dancing. I wish I had someone to dance with!
3. I live to make lists. What would I do without my Filofax and all the ongoing lists within??! It's funny, my younger son is the same way. I am always finding scraps of paper with his lists around the house.
4. My parents and four other siblings are all Republicans; I'm a Democrat. My nieces and nephews, as well as my own children (of course), have *mostly* come over to join me on the left, though.
5. If I am flipping through the channels and a World Wrestling Federation event is on, I'll stop and watch for awhile. I used to know all the wrestlers, but I'm a little rusty now. I wouldn't mind being a professional wrestling announcer, like Mean Gene Okerland. I love yelling "Look at the Carnage!" and "Clothesline!" at appropriate times. I met Stone Cold Steve Austin once.
6. I've collected Halcyon Day enamels, stamps, apples, Match Box cars, matchboxes, and handkerchiefs at some point over the years.
7. I have a birthmark on my lower back that would make a great setting sun in a tattooed beach scene. (But it's not going to happen.)
8. A perfect Friday night includes a Hendricks martini with bagel crisps, goat cheese and sun-dried tomato pesto.
9. The best part of a box of Life Cereal is the "dust" at the bottom.
10. I have perfect eyelashes. No, really. They're awesome.
I wish I was more interesting. Reading this, I realize I'm really just odd. Or let's say "eccentric," shall we? In any case:
Thank you, Daily Connoisseur for honoring me with this award! If you haven't yet met this elegant and erudite blogger, please visit her and introduce yourself!